In the census of 1881 it is recorded that Northumberland House was “being built”.
By 1883, according to Kelly’s Directory, Thomas HITT was in residence there. Thirteen years later an updated version of the same directory (1896) lists the occupier as Edward MOSS. There was Moss & Potter, wine and spirits merchants in the High Street at that time – perhaps there is some connection.
Other residents of Bury road have been:
Frederick RAE (1883 Kelly’s Directory)
William ROUGHT furrier, skin merchant, dresser & dealer (wholesale)(1883 Kelly’s Directory)
Elizabeth SOUTHWELL – shopkeeper (1883 Kelly’s Directory)