Market Hill

Market Hill

In 1271 a grand for a market/fair in Brandon was made to the Bishop of Ely and a Market and Fair are recorded for the town in 1319 however by 1679 the market is recorded as no longer in existence. It must have lingered on in some form or another however as from about 1834 market day was changed from Fridays to Thursdays and was attended by farmers and corn buyers. (Held at Great Eastern Hotel, 1891)

There were other fairs for cattle and toys held on February 14th, June 11th and November 11th. There was also a fair on 7th July for cattle held at Broomhill (just the Norfolk side of the river and later railway track). However all fairs had been abolished by 1872.

Forest Community Primary School, Market Hill – erected 1878″Board School, facing High street (mixed & infants), erected in 1878 for 300 children; average attendance, 250; at a cost of £3,350, is a handsome red brick building with stone dressings, partly in the Elizabethan style, having in the tower an illuminated clock; William Pelling, master; Mrs. Louisa Pelling, mistress; Miss Isabelle Beer, infants’ mistress.” (1883 Kelly’s Directory)

Wm. EDWARDS – coal dealer (1883 Kelly’s Directory)

John KENT – beer retailer & poulterer (1883 Kelly’s Directory)

Richard PARROTT – steam thrashing machine proprietor (1883 Kelly’s Directory)

Five Bells Public House Robert SNARE – Five Bells (public house) (1883 Kelly’s Directory)

Stphn. AGER – currier & shoe ma. (1883 Kelly’s Directory)
Hy. Wm. EDWARDS – man. Brandon Co-operative Stores Ltd (1883 Kelly’s Directory)

Mrs. Mary Ann PALMER – bkr. (1883 Kelly’s Directory)